Saturday, February 05, 2011

Getting a little worried

The winter weather in Oklahoma City is getting me a little worried about my marathon training.  This week was supposed to be my biggest week of training for the Cowtown Marathon at the end of February.  I haven't been able to run outside because of the roads, and the Y was closed two days of this week (and had restricted hours on other days).  Weathermen are calling for more snow and cold temps next week.  I hopped on the bike trainer a few times during the week, but I'm not sure its enough.  Today I'm going to put in around 15 miles on the treadmill in the AM and some time on the trainer in the P.M. I'll put some more miles in tomorrow, and possibly Monday.

I'm worried because this week has reminded of my first ever long training run.  It was back in February of 2005 in preparation for my first marathon - L.A.  I lived at a BIA school and had a co-worker drop me off 20 miles from the school.  As I started running back, a snowstorm moved in.  I became so cold and wet that I stopped at the laundrymat six miles from the school to warm my hands up.  A Navajo woman took pity on me and offered me a ride back.  As a result, I didn't get my necessary training run in.  My L.A. time suffered. 

I'm a much different runner than I was in 2005.  But the worry remains - if I don't get these runs in, how will I do on raceday?  How much of it is mental, and how much is physiological?  I suppose all I can do is run as much as I can until its time to taper.   The problem is that I really don't like the treadmill, or the basic cable programs that accompany it. 

No comments: