Sunday, September 25, 2011

Volunteering at Redman

So, I haven't updated my blog since IM Lou.  A few things have happened in the interim, including getting sworn into the Oklahoma Bar.
(Try and find me.  Good luck)

I've also had some issues dealing with my left knee.  I took three or so weeks off to let it heal.  It hasn't really, but I'm working on it.  I've also started some strength training.  We'll see how that goes.

And, finally, this past Saturday I volunteered at the local Redman triathlon.  You may remember that Redman was my first Oklahoma triathlon and first half-iron distance race.  Since my season is done, I thought I'd see about volunteering for the race.  After signing up and attending Friday's meeting, I was all set to report in at 5:00AM race morning.

(All those bikes set up and ready to rock) 

Before the race, I had the chance to walk around and see the different ways people set up their transition areas.  I saw a lot of sweet bikes, too.  I also saw this:

 (Something doesn't seem quite right with this bike)

My job in the beginning was to help with body marking.  Pretty uneventful.  Soon enough, it was time for the swim.  
(Lake Hefner was a little low)

I then helped direct racers to their bikes after the swim.  After the mad dash to T1, this is what the transition area looked like:
(deserted transition area while everyone is out riding)

Once the 70.3 racers returned and racked their bikes, we helped direct them out on the run.  The masses started to thin out and I walked around for a bit.  I saw this guy's bike coated in spilt sports drink:  
(Bees like this guy's bike)

Before I left, I helped get the full distance racers ready for the run.  Once we knew what numbers were coming in, I'd grab their bag and get their gear ready in the changing tent.  It was a lot of fun.  I liked being able to help in a concrete and tangible way.  Plus, the racers were pretty tired from the bike and were thankful for the chance to sit down and rest.

All in all, it was a good way to spend twelve hours.  I met some good people, helped some folks out, and learned a lot from watching.  I'm glad I had the chance to help out.  I'm pretty sure Redman 70.3 will be an annual "A" race for me.

1 comment:

Paula said...

I've awarded you the Liebster Award, use it wisely my friend.

http://splittedyarns.blogspot.com/2011/11/color-me-happy.html